Life is Like a Twinkie; or It Should Be
OK. As you read this article, check your watch to see what time it is. Either you are at work reading this or you are at home. Either way, how many times have you laughed since you got up this morning?
Are you having fun yet? If not, why not?
Do you realize that two-thirds of your life is at work? Half the remaining third is spent thinking about work. Now all you have left is a half of a third to think about whatever you want and we are still not having fun.
Do you have any kids or are you around anyone who does? If the answer is yes and they are in the age range from 4 to 10, all they want to do every day is play. All morning and all night. And they must play by the rules...the adult rules.
Remember when you were a kid and you went with your mom to the grocery store and you kept saying, "Mom, I want those Twinkies," and she always said "No"? Now we are adults and we can by anything we want and we do not have to ask mom for permission. So go get your Twinkie and, whether you're at work or home, consider "Hal's Twinkie Rules":
- Be like a kid; don't lose that fun inside of you. Trust me, it is more fun to be around fun people, not people who are serious all the time. (When was the last time you had fun at the bank?)
- You can be anything you want to be when you grow up. Are you really doing what you want to do with your life? If not, then when will you make yourself happy?
- At work pretend you're playing. You will see you and your employees doing a better job and enjoying it more. Look at the ticket counters at the airport, then go to the Southwest ticket counter. They are having more fun. (Oh yeah, they are the No. 1 airline in America today.)
- Learn from Disney. They are just an amusement park, but they do it better than anyone else and they enjoy beating the competition.
- Your attitude is everything. If you want to have fun you will. Remember, you have to eat a lot of cereal to find the free toy.